By Dr. Sreelatha Murugappan , Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
Botox, derived from Clostridium Botulinum, is a cosmetic treatment often used to smooth wrinkled skin. Botox was originally used to treat spasms as it has muscles freezing qualities. Eventually, it was primarily used to cure the wrinkles present at the corner of the eyes (known as crow’s feet) as well as the superficial wrinkles because of its muscle freezing qualities.
Botox works by injecting the Botulinum toxin which stops the nerves from making the wrinkle-causing movement. The toxin is injected in trace amounts that prevent the nerve cells from transmitting signals to the muscles. The chemical responsible for the contraction of muscles cells is inhibited; thus removing wrinkles and fine lines.
Some ways in which Botox is beneficial include:
- Botox is Nonsurgical: Botox can help you get flawless skin without any surgery. Botox is administered into your skin in the form of injections, in the process, negating the hassles of undergoing a surgery.
- Botox Reduces Excessive Sweating: Excessive sweating can be extremely embarrassing at times, especially if it is under the arms. A shot of Botox helps prevent excess sweating.
- Botox Cures Overactive Bladder: Suffering from an overactive bladder can cause a lot of inconvenience. If you are suffering from a case of bladder incontinence, then you can think about getting a Botox shot. Botox increases the volume/capacity of the bladder thereby reducing the incontinence. Once you get a shot, the overactive bladder will be cured gradually.
- Botox can Help with Migraines: If you are suffering from migraines related headaches, you might consider taking a Botox shot, as it may help reduce your headache and decrease its recurrence. It is extremely beneficial for those who suffer from chronic headaches during one such migraine attack.
- Beneficial for Eyebrow Lifting: Your eyebrow may sag due to various factors; primary among them being ageing or general lifestyle habits. Botox helps lift your drooping eyebrows; giving you a fresher and youthful look.
- Botox Helps with Eye Spasm: Botox helps cure strabismus (crossed eyes) and blepharospasm (abnormal contraction of the muscles of the eyelids). Botox relaxes the eye muscles and let the defective muscles heal.