June 16, 2017
By Dr Ajay Kumar Gupta , Sexology
Research shows that not clocking the adequate sleep hours can adversely affect your sex life. If you are sleeping for 5 hours or even less, it is time you take notice and fix the problem. Here are a few ways how lack of sleep can wreak havoc in your sex life:
- Sexual dysfunction can result from high levels of anxiety and tension which often stems from deprivation.
- Not sleeping enough also makes you restless and it increases your fatigue levels. This in turn, can lead to lower libido and make you disinterested in sex.
- Sleep apnea (sleep disorder which is characterized by sudden pauses in breathing) can result in lower testosterone levels, thus potentially marring your drive for sex.
- Mood swings are symptoms frequently experienced by people with sleep deprivation. You will be prone to outbursts and get irritated by small things. As a result, your ability to tolerate stress declines rapidly. In relationships, this translates into increased friction between you and your partner.
- Sleep deprivation also makes you want to avoid any social engagement. This, in turn, reduces your chances of meeting other members of the opposite sex.
- Sleeping less doesn’t allow your body and mind to recuperate properly. This can induce depression and thus, subsequently lead you to be disinterested in sex. It can also make you come across as a very irritable person.
When partners resort to separate bedrooms because of sleeping disorders, it pretty much rules out any opportunity for spontaneous action.
So, it’s important that you take professional help before it’s too late and your relationship falls prey to something which be actually dealt with.