By Dr. Nidhi Chandra, Dietitian/Nutritionist
Anemia is a common disorder of blood and generally occurs from a reduced count of Red Blood cells. In other words, the hemoglobin concentration in the blood reduces to a significant extent. Patients with anemia should ensure adequate intake of iron, vitamin B12, vitamin C and folic acid. Here is a list of food that help best to combat anemia:
- Beetroot- Beetroot is rich in iron and helps to combat anemia from the word go. It repairs the RBC and helps in the additional supply of oxygen. Beetroot can be consumed in the form of juice or along with other vegetables in the form of curry every alternate day.
- Red meat- Meat of cow, goat or lamb has very high iron content and helps to fight anemia. Meats of heart, liver and kidney are preferred due to their increased iron concentration. Red meat is also a very good source of vitamin B12. Also, 3 ounces of red meat can be consumed daily.
- Red tomatoes- Vitamin C is present in abundant quantities in tomatoes. It helps the body to digest iron. It is also considered to be a natural conditioner for the skin and hair. One or two tomatoes can be consumed daily.
- Eggs- It is estimated that 1 egg possesses up to 1 mg of iron. It is also a good source of other dietary nutrients that is required for the body. An egg is also a very good antioxidant helps to strengthen bones. For patients suffering from anemia, consumption of 1 egg per day could be really helpful.
- Honey- Honey has multiple good effects. It contains about 0.4 mg of iron in 100 grams. Honey is also a rich source of magnesium and copper that are extremely helpful in increasing the count of hemoglobin in the body. One spoon of honey in a cup of lemon juice should be consumed every day to fetch great results.
- Pomegranates- Pomegranates is rich in vitamin and is a great source of iron as well. It not only improves the blood circulation in the body but helps in addressing weakness and exhaustion. It is extremely effective for patients with anemia.
- Soy beans- This is a low-fat item but extremely rich in protein. Its vitamin and iron content makes it an ideal food item for anemia patient. Soybeans also contain phytic acid that helps in the absorption of iron in the body.
- Dates and apples- Apart from their rich iron content apples and dates also possess Vitamin C. This is extremely helpful for patients suffering from anemia. Both the fruits can be consumed daily. One apple and 10 dates a day are considered to be ideal.