By Dr. Nandeesh J, Ayurveda
Cholesterol is a substance which is present in the blood. Cholesterol helps in producing healthy cells in the body, but in excess, it can increase the risks of heart disease. High cholesterol in the body causes fat deposits to form in the blood vessels. These fatty deposits, called plaque, narrow the size of the arteries and choke the supply of nutrients and oxygen.
Cholesterol in the blood is transported by proteins which are attached to them. When protein and cholesterol combine together, it is known as lipoprotein. There are two types of cholesterol in the body:
- Low Density Lipoprotein or LDL: LDL transports cholesterol all over the body and it contributes to formation of plaque in the blood vessels.
- High Density Lipoprotein or HDL: HDL is also known as ‘good cholesterol’; it transports the excess cholesterol back to the liver. The factors that contribute to high blood cholesterol in the body are:
- Inactive and a sedentary lifestyle
Ayurvedic Approach To Deal With High Blood Cholesterol-
Ayurveda is a holistic system of medicine which has little side effects unlike conventional treatment methods. Ayurvedic remedies for high blood cholesterol focus on eradicating the root cause of the disorder in addition to treating the symptoms. They also improve the overall wellbeing of the body. The Ayurvedic remedies are:
- Diet: A healthy diet lays the foundation for getting your cholesterol levels under control. Your diet should include plenty of vegetables and fruits that provide the body with the necessary Vitamins and minerals. Avoid eating processed foods and instead opt for natural foods.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking causes the blood vessels to narrow, thus impairing the flow of blood in the body.
- Exercise: Regular exercise helps in keeping your body weight under optimal levels. Include cardiovascular exercises such as running and swimming to keep your heart muscles healthy.
- Get Rid of Stress: Stress has been linked to diabetes which is a risk factor for high blood cholesterol. In order to get rid of stress, practice relaxation techniques such as meditation to help you relax.