Are you experiencing painful sexual intercourse? This is a health condition known as dyspareunia that occurs because of various reasons such as structural problems, psychological issues, and many others. It is common for a lot of women to experience painful intercourse during some point in life. Dyspareunia can be described as recurrent genital pain that occurs while having, or after sexual intercourse. There are several treatment modes for female dyspareunia, which include the following:
• If a medical condition or infection causes painful intercourse, it is important for you to treat the underlying cause.
• You should consider changing medications that lead to lubrication issues as that can help in managing the symptoms.
• In case of post-menopausal women, the condition occurs because of insufficient lubrication caused due to lower estrogen levels. This can be treated using topical estrogen, which has to be applied to your vagina directly.
• There is also a certain medicine that acts like estrogen on your vaginal lining, but does not cause any harmful effects to your breasts or uterus lining.
There are several types of therapies which you can undertake for treating dyspareunia. They are as follows: A. Desensitization therapy
• You are taught vaginal relaxation exercises for decreasing pain in this therapy.
• You will be recommended pelvic floor exercises or Kegel exercises, and several other techniques that aid in reducing painful intercourse in women.
B. Sex therapy or counseling
• In case you have been experiencing painful intercourse for a long time, you may receive a negative emotional response towards sexual stimulation even after undergoing treatment.
• It is important for you to improve your communication with your partner, if he has been avoiding intimacy because of painful intercourse.
• It is recommended for you to consult a sex therapist for solving the problem and restoring intimacy in your relationship.
3. Home remedies
You need to make several changes to your sexual routine in the management of dyspareunia. They include the following: A. Switch positions
• In case of sharp pain during sexual intercourse, your partner’s penis may strike your cervix or cause stress on your pelvic floor muscles. This leads to aching and cramping pain. In such a case, you may benefit by changing your sexual position.
• Being on top of your partner during intercourse can be helpful and may cause less pain. Generally, women feel more control while having sex in this position. You may be able to regulate the penetration to a depth that is good and not painful for you.
It is important to communicate and share everything you feel good or bad about, with your partner. If you want your partner to be slow, you should tell him. Long foreplay helps you with the stimulation of your natural lubrication. This delays penetration until you are sexually aroused.
By Dr Manan H. Desai , Cardiology The heart is a pump which works constantly to pump blood to different parts of the body. The heart has 4 chambers, and the left ventricle which is the largest is responsible for pumping pure oxygenated blood to all parts of the body. This is done through a large blood vessel called aorta, which branches into a network of smaller and smaller vessels as it reaches the distant parts of the body. Due to various reasons, the heart may not be able to...
By Dr Anubhav Gupta , Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery Your physical appearance changes considerably with progressing age. The skin starts to wrinkle and droop especially in and around your cheeks and the eyes. There are a number of techniques which help you to regain your youthful look. Most common procedures include a facelift which tends to remove the sagginess of the skin around your face or an eyelift which helps to treat the drooping eyelids and bagginess below your eyes. The two procedures can be compared on the following grounds: 1. Type of...
By Dr. K. S Somasekhar Rao, Gastroenterology Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is a disorder of the digestive system that is characterized by a reflux of the stomach acid or stomach content through the food pipe. This action causes irritation to the lining in the food pipe and leads to GERD. The symptoms of this disorder are common and not problematic unless they occur more than twice a week in a chronic manner. Symptoms- You will experience a burning sensation in the chest (heartburn) that might spread to your throat, and leave a...
By Dr. M A Khokar , Sexology Do you shudder at the sheer thought of intimacy and intercourse after having gone through your pregnancy? And all of this despite having a spiced-up sex life previously? Do you find yourself feeling low as your passion and sexual desire take a back seat? Well worry not.. Conceiving a baby might have taken a toll on your libido but the good news is that this phase is transient. You would soon get back your former self and you can certainly deal with this particular phase...