April 16, 2017
By Dr. Tushar Chipra, Ayurveda
According to ayurveda, an obese person is at the highest risk for diseases like diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, excessive weight which put additional pressure on organs like heart, kidneys and liver and thus lowers their functionality. For this and many other reasons, it is essential to fight obesity. However, this is easier said than done. Hunger pangs are one of the biggest obstacles in weight loss. Here are a few ayurvedic ways to fight hunger pangs and thus reduce weight:
- Oatmeal: Oats are rich in fiber and low in calories. This food has the property to expand on the absorption of water. Oats are also slow to digest and absorb. This keeps the stomach feeling full and reduces the urge to snack. Additionally, oats help fight against cholesterol.
- Nuts: Nuts are a healthy snack rich in nutrients and low in calories. Almonds contain pinolenic acid that produces hormones to suppress hunger pangs. Nuts are also rich in healthy fats. Soaking almonds in water overnight and eating them as soon as you wake up also helps to improve brain functioning.
- Green tea: Green tea can be very helpful for weight loss. It contains a phytonutrient called epigallocatechin gallate that boosts the production of a hormone responsible for the feeling of satiation. This prevents snacks between meals and keeps the stomach feeling full. Green tea also reduces the risk of high blood sugar and has powerful anti oxidant properties.
- Flax seeds: Flax seeds are rich in fiber, proteins and omega 3 fatty acids but extremely low in saturated fats. Flax seeds prevent the body from absorbing sugar and hence help to suppress your appetite.
- Coffee: Coffee is a well known appetite suppressant. The caffeine in coffee helps avert hunger pangs and can thus help you lose weight. However, you drink your coffee with sugar and cream, these benefits are negated.
- Chocolate: Contrary to popular belief, chocolate can be used as a weight loss aid as well. Cocoa in dark chocolate can help suppress hunger pangs by lowering the levels of a hunger stimulating hormone called ghrelin. Additionally, dark chocolate has mood enhancing properties that can distract from hunger pangs.
- Apple: An apple a day can help you lose weight as well as keep the doctor away. They are rich in soluble fibers and pectin that are slow to digest. Hence it keeps the stomach full for longer and helps reduce the urge to snack. Pectin also helps fight cholesterol and reduce blood sugar.