By Dr. Prashant K Vaidya, Homeopathy
Corns and Warts
Corns and warts are two most common foot conditions, while warts require an immediate treatment since they can appear all over the body.
A corn is a small thickened lesion in the skin of the foot that occurs because of repeated high friction pressure on the bony prominences of the foot, leading to thickening the skin in that area which causes an inadequate blood circulation in the skin to form corns. It might be caused by the presence of the second toe longer than the first, ill-fitted shoes, high-heeled footwear, barefoot dancing, etc. Corns do not bleed and do not cause pain as such, but become painful when you stand up or walk. The causes of the corns are to be removed or treated, else the corns may return.
- Antimonium crudum: This is the most effective and easily available medicine for corn treatment.
- Ferrum-picricum: It is the best remedy for corns with yellow discoloration on the corn and area surrounding it.
- Graphitis: It treats hard corns with steaky discharge.
- Hepar sulph: This medicine heals the pus-forming corns effectively.
- Lycopodium: The corns which are painful when pressed can be relieved and treated with Lycopodium.
- Silicea: Soft to touch corns can be treated easily with Silicea.
- Sulphur: It proves to be the best medicine for treating corns if there is a burning sensation in the corns.
- Other medicines which are widely used to treat warts include Arnica, Camphor, Nat Mur, Phytolacca, Ran Scleratus, Ruta, Sulphur and Thuja.
A wart is non-cancerous thickened small growth on the skin caused by entry of human papilloma virus in the body through openings or breaks in the skin. Generally, warts appear on the bottom of the foot. Warts are painful, making you difficult to walk and stand. Warts need to be treated immediately as they might appear all over the other body parts. Warts generally have small black dots around which are dried blood in the blood vessels.
- Antimonium crundum: Hard warts should be treated with Antimonium crundum.
- Calcaria carbonica: This remedy is used for round warts around the neck, which have a depression in the centre and wall around it.
- Causticum: This medicine works well for old and large warts which might bleed easily.
- Dulcamara: If Thuja occidentalis does not work on warts, this medicine might be able to give positive results to treat warts.
- Ferrum picricum: This medicine is used to treat large groups of small pointed warts.
- Thuja occidentalis: It is most widely used to treat Warts at the beginning stage by the physicians.
- Other medicines which are widely used to treat warts include, Nitric acidum, Lycopodium clavatum, Antimoniam crude, Natrum muriaticum, Staphysgaria, Graphites, Ruta graveolens.
Seeking medical advice for any type of corns and warts is always advised and one should never try to remove corns and warts on his own since it might lead to another infection.