By Dr. Gajanan Manamwar, Ayurveda
The primary basis of hair loss is rooted in genes. It is inherited from our parents. And depending from who you inherit it from, the pattern of hair loss will vary; hair loss is also termed as alopecia. In order for the hair follicles to grow healthy, basic hair cleansing is a must. Adequate water intake, flushing out of toxins and consuming foods rich in iron, biotin, Vitamin C, Vitamin B complex and calcium all are absolutely necessary for healthy hair growth. In Ayurveda, surplus of Pitta ‘dosha’ in the body is the principal cause of hair troubles. Typically, Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss would include nutrition, yoga, meditation, and most importantly herbal oil massage and usage of herbal hair wash and hair packs. Apart from hereditary reasons, some probable causes of hair loss are:
- Physical stress or mental stress
- Age factor
- Hair styling and styling products
- Diet poor in nutrition, especially, lack of protein and iron in the diet.
Unwarranted intake of alcoholic beverages, smoking and eating red meat on a regular basis leads to alopecia. Pitta gets irritated by the ingestion of fast foods and spicy foods.
- Aloe Vera: Applied on the scalp or taken in an empty stomach would help in generating hair growth.
- Sesame seeds: These can be ingested as well as applied as a hair pack; they work wonders, being a rich source of hair nutrients.
- Yoghurt: Yogurt is a good source of lactic acid also very beneficial for the hair.
Certain yoga ‘asanas’ under the supervision of a yoga instructor can be very helpful in this regard.
Meditating to limit stress levels and getting a sound sleep every night are age-old tenets of healthy body, and thus, healthy hair as well.
Medicated Herbal Oils and Massage:
Massaging the scalp with herbal oils such as jojoba and castor oil along with coconut and almond oil are good options. Use of Amla, Brahmi and Bhringraj hair packs also would help tremendously. Pepper has a stimulating effect on hair follicles as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda and ask a free question.