By Dr. Siddharth Sakhiya, Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
Like good health and youth, now, most of us take care of our hair for granted, until they’re gone! Unfortunately many may not be able to salvage them because of different reasons. For these people, a hair transplant can help them bring back what looks like a full head of hair. A hair transplant is a procedure in which a Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon moves hair to a bald area of the head. The surgeon usually moves hair from the back or side of the head to the front or top of the head. Hair transplants typically occur in a well-equipped Operation Theatre under local anaesthesia. Getting a hair transplant can improve your appearance and self-confidence to a great extent.
Good candidates for a hair transplant include:
- Men with male-pattern baldness
- Women with severe diffuse hair loss
- Anyone who has lost hair from a burn or injury (Scar Alopecia)
Hair replacement isn’t a good option for:
- Women with a wide-spread/ Very severe hair loss throughout the scalp
- People who don’t have enough ‘donor’ hair sites from which to remove hair for transplant
- People who form keloid scars (thick, fibrous scars) after injury or surgery
- People whose hair loss is due to medication like chemotherapy or some medical condition like Alopecia Areata
- Planning and assessment before the operation
- Harvesting Methods: The patient is made pain free with help of local anaesthesia after which transplantation is performed. Common hair transplant methods to choose from are:
- Follicular unit transplant (FUT)- Strip harvesting
- Follicular unit extraction (FUE)
Care Post Operation:
After the surgery, you need to take pain medicine for several days. You will be prescribed an antibiotic or an anti-inflammatory drug to take for several days. Most people are able to return to work on very next day or maximum by 2-5 days after the procedure. The treated area should be protected from sunlight and dust. Head wash can be started after 48 hrs. It is advisable to avoid perspirating exercise for 15 days.
After transplant, person achieve best density at 10 month- 1 year. It is advisable to take some specific medicines for hair growth for a year or more to maintain best density.